Thursday, June 12, 2014

DIY Rainy Day Activities for Kids

The worship leader at our church has been battling thyroid cancer for the past several months. This past week she was in isolation for 5 days due to her iodine radiation treatment. Her Husband had to work some of the days she was radioactive so I volunteered to watch her kids this past Monday. She has 5 little ones, ranging from ages 4 to 13. Her husband works 10 hours shifts with a an hour commute so I was there a full 12 hours. Going from 0 kids to 5 kids is exhausting. We had a lot of fun, but if it taught me anything is that I have some weak back muscles. I woke up Tuesday morning and my back was so sore, I think it was from all the bending over to pick up marshmallows, but more to come on that later. 

I had been warned when I volunteered, that I needed to have activities planned, little did I know that I needed at least 20 of them, because we went through all of my activities in a couple of hours. At least they liked them enough to go back for some second, and even third time fun! I had originally planned to spend some time outside, but it was rainy and muddy outside all day, so it became an indoor activity day. 

I found most of these on Pinterest and wanted to share them with everyone. They were a huge hit for all of the ages of the kids!

Make Your Own Flubber - A little messy at the beginning but it will dry out. 

Marshmallow Shooters - I would do theses a little differently. Don't get Dixie paper cups, they aren't durable enough to last all day. Get the clearish small plastic drinking cups. Also, for the balloon, tie the end and then cut the opposite side (the curved side). That way they can use the tied end to shoot with. Here is an example.

Balloon Tennis - I used plastic spoons instead of the sticks and just taped them to the plates, because it's what I had on hand. They turned out great!

These were all a huge a hit. 


Signature Fonts

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! (Please be patient as I moderate your comment).